Saturday, February 21, 2015

Expressionism Portraits




A portion of a painting I started the other day and I had hoped to complete today. Fate had other plans as I burnt my right hand carrying firewood and slipped on the wet floor... throwing out my right hand on the nearest thing, the wood stove, to catch myself. Honey does wonders for burns but it will take a few days.

My interpretation of expressionism is quite simple, "Energy running rampant and giving the painting a pulse."

Expressionism. "A style of painting, music, or drama in which the artist or the writer seeks to express emotional experience rather than impressions of the external world." Google.

"An artistic movement of the mid 20th century comprising diverse styles and techniques and emphasizing especially an artist's liberty to convey attitudes and emotions through nontraditional and usually nonrepresentational means." Webster in describing abstract expressionism.

If you have a few minutes in between catching the subway or metro read about the 19th and 20th century Expressionist painters here. Refresh your Art History.

Carol Yap Paintings

No comments:

Post a Comment