Friday, February 20, 2015

MICA Baltimore Self Portrait Show

Raoul Middleman is exhibiting his 50 years of self portraits at Mica in Baltimore through March 6th. I hope to be able get to see it soon.  But I've been thinking about self portraits...as the last person I want to paint is myself. Is it because I have to paint the good, the bad, the ugly, and find the beautiful? Or is it because I have to get better acquainted with myself. Dig down deep and sort things through?

MICA curator Caitlin Tuck-Melvin has this to say, "Middleman is part of the rich history of painters capturing themselves in paint, and through his self portraits we see someone who is exploring himself, unafraid to be ugly or vulnerable."  So that sums it up for me. We have to be fearless in our exploring and painting ourselves. It's alot more than color and composition. It's confronting ourselves.   

MICA's galleries are free and open to everyone. Hours are 10 am-5 pm Monday through Saturday.  Sundays the hours are 12-5 pm. If you can't make the trip do visit Raoul's website. 

Carol Yap Paintings

No comments:

Post a Comment